[Skip to content]

Dunbartonshire and Argyll & Bute valuation Joint Board
Search our Site

The Open Register


Like all registration offices, we keep two registers - the Electoral Register and the Open Register (previously known as the edited register).


The Electoral Register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections and is also used for calling people for jury service, preventing and detecting crime and checking applications for credit. It is not sold on to anyone. Credit Reference agencies may only use it to check the customer's name and address if applying for credit and for other purposes specified in law.


The open register is an extract of the electoral register but it is not used for elections. It may be purchased in whole or in part by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

How Do I Opt Out of the Open Register?


Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. You can ask to be removed from the Open Register at any time and this will not affect your right to vote.  If you are already registered, please fill in this online form Once completed this will be automatically sent to us.


Or you can complete this form (pdf version) and email this to us at


ero-abc@dab-vjb.gov.uk - Argyll & Bute Council


ero-wdc@dab-vjb.gov.uk - West Dunbartonshire Council


ero-edc@dab-vjb.gov.uk - East Dunbartonshire Council



Or you can post this form (pdf version) to 


Argyll and Bute

Kilbrannan House, Bolgam Street, Campbeltown, PA28 6JY


East and West Dunbartonshire
235 Dumbarton Road, Clydebank, G81 4XJ


If you need to register to vote, you can now register online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote  - make sure you tick the relevant box if you want to Opt Out of the Open Register.






West Dunbartonshire - from the banks of Loch Lomond to the shores of Clyde
Text Size: