[Skip to content]

Dunbartonshire and Argyll & Bute valuation Joint Board
Search our Site

1st December 2017 - The Register of Electors 


The Electoral Register, as revised at 1st December 2017, can be inspected at the following offices and libraries.


You can also check to see if you are registered by contacting either of the Valuation Joint Board’s offices at:


235 Dumbarton Road
G81 4XJ
Phone 0141 562 1200
FAX 0141 562 1255

Text Phone 07754813021


Kilbrannan House,
Bolgam Street,
PA28 6JY
Phone 01586 555300
FAX 01586 552883

Text Phone 07821643267



Individual Electoral Registration Goes Live


The way people register to vote has changed.


Individual electoral registration (IER) - answers to some key questions


What is IER?


This is a new system of registration which has been introduced to ensure greater confidence as to the identity of electors and improved access to the registration process.


How is the new system different?


  • You need to provide a few more details to register – including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.
  • You can now register online on www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.
  • Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the ‘head of every household’ could register everyone who lived at their address.

Once a person is registered under IER their registration is continuous until they move to a different address or for any reason are no longer eligible to remain registered as an elector.


What this means


The start of IER will involve confirming the identity of current electors by comparing entries in the register against national datasets. Most people should be automatically transferred to IER and do not need to do anything else.

Some people will need to provide additional information in order to stay on the register. We will let you know how to do this, when to do it and provide you with help if you need it.


How will you know if you are registered under the new system


If you are included on the Register of Electors by 1st October 2014 and your identity information matches other government records, you will receive written confirmation in mid October that you are registered to vote under the new system.


Do I need to do anything?


If you received a letter confirming you are registered under the new system you do not need to do anything.

However, you may need to register under the new system if:

  • you received a letter telling you that you needed to re-register, or
  • you have changed address since you received a confirmation that you were registered, or
  • you did not receive a letter.

To find out more go to www.gov.uk/yourvotematters


How do I register?


Registering to vote is easy:

  • visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
  • fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You’ll also need your National Insurance number, which can be found on your National Insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
  • when your information is verified, we will send you an acknowledgment letter.


If you would prefer to complete a paper form you can ring the office on 0141 562 1262 (East and West Dunbartonshire Councils) or 01586 55 5300 (Argyll and Bute Council) and we will send you a form.


What are the two registers?


Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).


The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications. 


The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.


How Do I Opt Out of the Open Register?


Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. You can ask to be removed from the Open Register at any time and this will not affect your right to vote.  If you are already registered, please fill in this online form Once completed this will be automatically sent to us.


Or you can complete this form (pdf version) and email this to us at


ero-abc@dab-vjb.gov.uk - Argyll & Bute Council


ero-wdc@dab-vjb.gov.uk - West Dunbartonshire Council


ero-edc@dab-vjb.gov.uk - East Dunbartonshire Council



Or you can post this form (pdf version) to 


Argyll and Bute

Kilbrannan House, Bolgam Street, Campbeltown, PA28 6JY


East and West Dunbartonshire
235 Dumbarton Road, Clydebank, G81 4XJ


If you need to register to vote, you can now register online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote  - make sure you tick the relevant box if you want to Opt Out of the Open Register.


How to contact us


Contact either of the Valuation Joint Board’s offices at:


235 Dumbarton Road                     Or        Kilbrannan House
CLYDEBANK                                               Bolgam Street
G81 4XJ                                                         CAMPBELTOWN

                                                                        PA28 6JY

Phone:  0141 562 1200                              Phone:  01586 555300
Fax :  0141 562 1255                                   Fax:  01586 552883

Text: Phone 07754813021                         Text Phone:  07821643267



Electoral Registration

The main duties of the Electoral Registration Officer include the creation and maintenance of the Register of Electors and similar tasks in regard to the Postal and Proxy Vote lists . He is not, however, responsible for the conduct of elections, his statutory involvement being to provide Registers and Absent Voting Lists for each Polling Station, as well as to candidates at the Election and to the Returning officer. It is the duty of the Returning Officer to organise and conduct elections.

The Register of Electors (or Voters Roll) is principally based on an annual canvass of all properties where electors may reside. The Register also indicates the entitlement to vote at various types of elections.

Find out more about Postal and Proxy Voting Information.


West Dunbartonshire - from the banks of Loch Lomond to the shores of Clyde
Text Size: